Canyon Overlook Trail is easily one of the best hikes in Zion National Park. If you’re looking for a hike in Zion other than Angel’s Landing or The Narrows, this is a great place to start.
The hike itself is quick and easy with minimal elevation change, making this trail suitable for families. And like some of Zion’s other popular hiking spots, it leads to an incredible view of the canyon.
Continue scrolling to read my guide to hiking Zion’s Canyon Overlook Trail:
Canyon Overlook Trail Location
Canyon Overlook Trail is one of the few trails available on the Eastern side of the park. The trailhead is located right by the Eastern entrance of Zion’s Mount Carmel Tunnel.
The viewpoint at the end of the trail overlooks Pine Creek Canyon. If you came in through the Eastern entrance of the park, you will be able to see the switchbacks you just drove through.
You can find a map and more trail details on AllTrails website here.
When to Hike Canyon Overlook Trail
I think the best time to do this hike is first thing in the morning. If you’re an early bird like me, arrive to the park before the sun comes up to catch the sunrise over the canyon!
I chose to go early since I was visiting on a holiday and anticipated the park being especially crowded. Even when it’s not a holiday weekend, Zion is always crowded.
I visited in September and the weather was ideal. During the Fall and Spring months you can avoid the heat in the summer and the snow in the winter.
- Go early! I think Canyon Overlook trail is a great starting point in Zion. Plan on getting to the park 2 hours before the sunrise – It’s a popular hike and you will want to get a good spot for the view.
- Parking is limited. There’s only about 10 spots near the trailhead and they fill up fast, and street parking is minimal.
- The hike itself is quick and easy – only about 1 mile roundtrip and takes about an hour total.
- During certain parts of the hike you will be walking over sandy rocks that can get slippery, so wearing proper hiking boots is best.
- If you opt to hike for the sunrise, bring a jacket as the morning air is chilly. Another idea is to bring a canister of coffee with you to enjoy as you watch the sun come up.
Plan your visit: Check for alerts, current park conditions and more on the NPS official website here.
Have you hiked Zion National Park? Share your favorite trails with me in the comments below!
Pin me for later –